The Certificate in English Communication (CEC) aims to improve the English communication skills of learners to a level where they can communicate and study more effectively through the medium of English and, therefore, achieve greater success in their studies. This course is offered online only, therefore, all students in this course must be computer literate and able to study through e-Learning.
Study Mode: Distance
Course Code: (CEC)
This course is intended to develop and improve the four English language skills, namely reading, writing, speaking and listening.
• Communicate more confidently in English and enhance their English language proficiency
• Study more effectively through the medium of English
• Increase their opportunities for success in the examinations.
• Potential Grade 12 learners of NAMCOL who wish to improve their English language
• Grade 12 learners currently enrolled with NAMCOL who are
experiencing difficulty with English;
• Members of the general public who would like to improve their English language proficiency skills.
The following documents are required at registration:
• A Grade 10 or 12 certificate or statement of results (certified copies are accepted)
• An identity document (Namibian ID card, birth certificate or passport).
Prospective learners are required to register online only.
This course consists of four modules with three CD Roms, as well as three
• CEC Core(6 Assignments) – refers to Modules 1 – 3
• CEC Extended(8 Assignments) – refers to Modules 1 – 4 Module 4 is optional for
students who wish to further their studies at tertiary level.
All materials, assignments and quizes are online (uploaded on Moodle)
• No materials given
• All materials uploaded on Moodle
Continuous assessment is done through the submission of assignments.
There will be 6 tutor-marked assignments based on the three modules for core learners, and 8 assignments for four modules for extended.
Students will be required to keep a file of their written work.
In order to pass this course, a student must obtain a final mark of at least 50% in each assignment submitted. No exams.
A student will only be awarded a certificate if these requirements have been fulfilled. A final examination will take place at the end of the academic year (November each year).
Reference: Student number