The overarching aim of this programme is to support prospective and upgrading Diploma students to be competent, confident teachers who are able to facilitate the mastery of the school curriculum competencies in all Early Childhood and Junior Primary subjects.
Early Childhood Care, Development and Junior Primary Education lay the foundation for formal Education and thus contribute to building a nation. This phase of learning is recognised internationally as an essential launching block
in life. Early childhood and Junior Primary Education forms an integral part of the ‘Education for All’ agenda since it ensures a more effective transition to and integration in formal education for all Namibian children. The B. Ed ECJPE thus aims to provide aspiring educarers and teachers with a solid theoretical background and effective pedagogical skills to build a sound foundation for young Namibians.
THIS PROGRAMME IS DESIGNED TO:
• Train student teachers to understand, value and treat young children with respect and value their diversity.
• Expose students to educational practice opportunities to establish theoretical underpinnings and school curriculum expectations.
• Develop effective relevant teaching strategies for all school subjects to promote learning.
• Develop a deep understanding of children and their needs through relevant action research.
• Provide students with theoretical background knowledge on holistic child development, inclusion, counseling and human classroom management skills.
This B.Ed ECJPE qualification will acknowledge former alumni of NAMCOL who have obtained the Diploma in Early Childhood and Pre Primary Education as well as new recruits who wish to obtain an education degree in the Early Childhood and Junior Primary Phase and cannot afford full time studies. The B.Ed ECJPE qualification offers an opportunity to student teachers who have a calling and have a strong desire to serve the nation through teaching young children and helping them achieve a good chance at success.
Applicants must have at least 25 points in the five subjects on the NSSCO/ AS level, including English with a minimum D Grade OR
• Applicants who are graduates of NAMCOL’s Certificate in Early Childhood Development (CECD)
• Applicants who are graduates from the NAMCOL Diploma in Early Childhood and Development (DECPPE) or any other equivalent relevant qualification.
The assessment process comprises assignments which form continuous assessment over the course of a Semester or year and count as a Continuous Assessment (CA) year/Semester mark, allowing Semester students to qualify for an examination if they have at least 50%.
• Some modules will be based on practical work (photographed or done during compulsory tutorial sessions) plus assignments only, such as Educational Practice and Integrated Arts while other modules will have a final examination paper written.
• First Aid will be certified separately.
• Lecturers are expected to provide guiding and informative feedback on assignments. Assignments and examination papers will be moderated as well as a selection of the marked scripts
Four-year programme supported by face-to-face sessions
Registration fee is N$2690.00, which should be paid upon registration, the remaining amount should be settled by May 31. The once-off 690.00 data fee is charged with registation for 10G of data each month for the whole year
Registration fee is N$2000.00, which should be paid upon registration, The
remaining amount should be settled by 30 September.
|Type of Fee
|Institutional Core Modules x2
|1.Religious and Moral Education
||8. Professional and Educational
|2. English Language Competence I
||9. Basic Math for ECD/Junior
Primary Educators II
|3. Basic Mathematics for ECD/Junior Primary
|4. Introduction to Computers
||11.Integrated Music and Drama
|5. Integrated Creative and Visual Arts
|6.Integrated Environmental Awareness ECD
|7.English Language Competence II (Independent User
|13. Theories of Learning in Early Childhood
and Junior Primary Education (Western and African perspective
|20.Mathematics & Numeracy Education (Grade 1-3)
|14. Pre-Numeracy Development (ECD)
||21. Literacy & Language
Education (Grade 1-3)
|15. Pre-Literacy and Language Development
|22. Physical Development and Motor Skills (Grade 1-3)
|16. . Physical Development and Motor Skills
||23. English as Second Language
|17. English as Second Language
||24. Namibian Language as
Medium of Instruction (mother
|18. Namibian Language as Medium of
Instruction (Mother Tongue
|25.Educational practice 1B
|19. Educational practice 1A
|26. Holistic Child Development Milestones
|31. Reading and Writing intervention
|27. Inclusive Education for Child Development
and Learning Challenges
|32. Curriculum Development and
Science of Teaching
|28. Numeracy Intervention
||33. History, Policies and
Standards in ECE
|29. English Language Competence III
|34. Project-Based Learning
|30. Project Based Learning
||35. Educational Practice II
|36. Educational Research Methodology
||41. Guidance and Counselling of
|37. Guidance and Counseling of young
|42. Educational Management II
|38. Educational Leadership and Management I
||43. Research Project
|39. First Aid
|40. Educational Practice III
Reference: Student number